Why should we protect ourselves from the sun?
During the summer, many of us generally prefer to do outdoor activities, such as going to the beach, swimming in the sea or swimming pool, sunbathing or simply going for a walk. Without a doubt, going out on a sunny day is something we enjoy.
Among the good things about the Sun, it not only puts us in a good mood, but it is also important for our health, since it is one of the main sources of vitamin D. Despite this, it can also cause damage that we sometimes ignore. Next, we will explain why it is important to protect yourself from the Sun, and how you should do it when you want to enjoy it.
The Sun emits all kinds of electromagnetic radiation, which is nothing more than a flow of photons that travels through space in the form of waves. Now, these waves can be long or short and, precisely, depending on this length, we can classify them into different types of electromagnetic energy (visible light, microwaves, X-rays, etc.) as seen in the image below.
UV rays can cause damage to skin cells. It's important to protect yourself from UV rays all year long, not just during the summer. UV rays can affect you on cool, cloudy days and are reflected from surfaces like water, concrete, sand, and snow.
Measures you can take to protect yourself from the sun
- Wear protective clothing: Wear protective clothing UPF +50 UV, such as a long-sleeved shirt, pants, a wide-brimmed hat, and sunglasses, when possible.
- Do not expose yourself directly to the sun: Sunburns significantly increase the risk of developing skin cancer, especially in children.
- Avoid tanning in the sun or tanning beds: UV light from tanning beds and the sun causes wrinkles and skin cancer.
- Be extra cautious around water, snow, and sand: Water, snow, and sand reflect the sun's harmful rays, which can increase your chance of sunburn.
- Apply Sunscreen Generously: Generously apply about an ounce of sunscreen to all exposed skin about 15 minutes before going outdoors.
- Get vitamin D safely: Get vitamin D safely through a diet that includes vitamin supplements and foods fortified with vitamin D. Don't get it from the sun.